Sunday, November 27, 2005

Domesticity

Friday night I baked four loaves of bread. Last night I cooked a 4 pound roast with potatoes and carrots. Then I spent three hours cross-stitching. Today I think I'm going to bake some muffins and I'm actually looking forward to cleaning my kitchen and doing a couple of other small chores.

While I have always enjoyed cooking, given the time and space, this is a whole new level of domesticity for me. Last weekend I found myself humming while doing laundry. I wonder if it is in part because I don't get to spend a lot of time at home, or if it is because I share my home with another woman who is also trying to assert her personality and I go all Martha in an attempt to compensate for the lack of control I have.

Whatever it is, I'm slighty scared by it and a little mortified. Mostly, though, I'm really enjoying myself.

Weird.

3 comments:

Meghan said...

Wow, that is a pretty high level of domesticity.

That said, I actually scrubbed the stains out of the sink the other day... and have been wiping down the counters daily.

Dear GOD - I hope this is as close as I get to nesting.

Anonymous said...

It must be something in the Canadian water.

I cooked a Thanksgiving dinner for Mgan and her sister. Then last night made turkey soup. And today I just got done making the bed and doing the dishes.

I am so Mgan's domesticated house-husband these days.

Iago

Anonymous said...

Admit it, Podge. You're a homebody. There are worse things than being a happy kitchenwitch! ;-P
(From a happy kitchenwitch)