Monday, November 10, 2008

Weekend Round-up

Friday night I went out dancing for a girlfriend's birthday (I was driving, so didn't drink). We closed the bar and had a great time. Saturday I felt like I'd been hit by a truck. It turns out that I don't bounce back from being out that late quite the way I used to.

Fred was gone most of the weekend. It was the closing weekend of the controlled deer hunt, so he was out at my Mom's farm, sitting outside in the wind/rain/hail/cold. Not my idea of a fun time, but he enjoyed himself. One of the members of his party brought down a buck, so now I get to learn how to cook venison. Any suggestions?

Yesterday afternoon one of my friends hosted a Mary Kay facial class. We had a very good time, and booked three more classes with the consultant over the next few months. We're going to do a beach party theme at the end of January (focuses on total body skin care and no-sun tanning alternatives), a before and after glamour make-over mid-December, and another make-over session in a couple of weeks in which the consultant has agreed to figure out what kind of goth pin-up looks we can come up with. I'm betting Mary Kay never envisaged that use for her make-up!

Finally, I picked up a new yoga dvd, produced by Ali McGraw. Wowee! There are some bendy bits in there that I didn't know my body was supposed to be able to do! It's a 53 minute long dvd, but I didn't feel like it took that long. It's going to be a while (like, years) before I'm at the level where I can complete many of the poses, but I liked it enough that I'll keep trying.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the yoga positions. There were things that my instructor would say we were going to master by the end of each six-week course, and I would just laugh and laugh. But then, one day, I was doing them! Incredible!

As for the venison, do you know what cuts you're going to get? If they're regular deer steaks, you can't go wrong by dredging it with flour and seasonings and then frying it. Think chicken fried steak. Or, um, chicken fried deer. And if they offer you deer burger, don't try to make actual hamburgers, as the meat is just too gamey for that. (And this comes from someone who ate more deer than just about any other meat growing up.) But deer burger does make an excellent chili.