Monday, July 21, 2008

Weekend Update

My weekend started (sort-of) 12:15 am Friday morning, when the husband and I went to see The Dark Knight. Woo! Definitely worth the lack of sleep! I napped before and after the movie, and then went into work on Friday, where I mainlined coffee all day. The movie was dark and wonderful and creepy and exciting, and I'm so glad I went.

Saturday we went into the Big City to visit friends and eat sushi (yum!) then we got together back at home with friends to watch UFC. How I went from someone who hated sushi and wresting, to someone who will drive 1.5 hours to eat sushi and will spend 4 hours watching men pummel each other until they bleed/pass out is beyond me.

The very most exciting part of the weekend was yesterday when I spent the afternoon making cheese with my friend semicrunchymom.

We started with milk (and a couple of other things from the cheesemaking kit she bought):



And ended up with mozzarella:



Then we started out with milk again (see previous picture; it looked exactly the same), and ended up with ricotta:



It was very exciting to see the change from milk to curds and whey. It was one of those things that happens in moment, much like the moment when whipping cream turns into butter and butter milk. It was a lovely afternoon, and a fantastic reminder that cooking is really just math and chemistry.

8 comments:

allison said...

Oh, your cheese turned out so much better than mine! But I am optimistic for next time. Well done,you.

Amanda said...

Awesome! Now I desire cheese curds...

Anonymous said...

When my tomatoes ripen, you must mail me some of your mozzarella to go with my tomatoes and fresh basil and balsamic vinegar.

Suddenly, I need a snack.

CosmicAvatar said...

That cheesemaking process sounds amazing. I'd never have the patience, but well done!

allison said...

Hey, can you tell me what kind of milk you two used for your cheese? I suspect that my cheese problems may have been related to my milk.

jenn said...

Cool beans!

Simon said...

Yay for math! And also chemistry, but my bias is well known.

I liked The Dark Knight too, and lost some sleep because of it - I wish I'd thought of sleeping a bit before the film. Pants.

Anonymous said...

ACK...you made cheese...SIGH you are the Queen...i make pickles..not cheese..although i may have to make cheese now, just to say ive made cheese...